19: Everything is Quantum
In the second of this quantum pair of episodes, we talk about how we’ve seen quantum physics used in fiction. Dustin graciously continues to answer our questions. There’s also a bit of a history lesson on how quantum physics were preceded in science fiction by radium and transistors.
This episode is brought to you by Audible. Visit audibletrial.com/betterworlds to choose one free audiobook out of an available fifteen thousand dozen.
Follow-up & Mini-topics
- Finland temperature records
- SI vs. Imperial units
- Quantum teleportation
- Qubits and cubits
Main topic: Quantum Physics in Fiction
- Quantum asteroid field (Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2)
- Ansible (Ursula K. Le Guin, Ender’s Game/Enderverse, Mass Effect)
- TV Tropes: Quantum mechanics can do anything
- How we feel about scientific accuracy in movies
- Spaceships that are jungles
- Radium in the Barsoom series (A Princess of Mars, et al.)
- Transistors in early Marvel material
- Science communication and how differing definitions of terms can confuse people.
State of the Show
A few notes on audio production, why the last episode was a week late, and why the production timeline will hopefully become tighter over time.