Wonder Woman is a significant milestone for superhero movies: a DC movie that all three of us were interested in talking about.
This episode is brought to you by Audible. Visit audibletrial.com/betterworlds to choose one free audiobook out of an available fifteen thousand dozen. If you need a recommendation, check out Sabriel or Ancillary Justice.
Pre-Show / Followup
- There’s a licensing deal for every new Disney movie to come to Netflix.
- Rogue One is coming to Netflix on July 18.
- Moana is surprisingly good.
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Sounds like the campaign is going to be central to the game; not just a minor piece.
- Correction: There is a starfighter-only PvP mode in the first (rebooted) game.
- Marvel’s doppelgänger fest thing.
- Why DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH Is A Gutsy Work Of Comics Criticism
- The plague of Issue #1s
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, LMDs, and HRDs
- Listener-Submitted Finland Facts
Main Topic: Wonder Woman (24:40)
- Spoiler-free discussion of general impressions.
- Spoiler horn (46:04)
- Broadway costume designer Amanda Weaver tweets about Wonder Woman’s costumes. (It’s >30 tweets, and tweet-threading can be unreliable, so here’s an alternate link with screenshots of the whole tweetstorm.)
- Director Patty Jenkins on Diana’s costume as wish fulfillment.
- The alleged leaked Wonder Woman script by Joss Whedon.
- A brief digression on Lord of the Rings.
- Racist caricatures.
- The nature of war.
- The nature of Wonder Woman.
- Another digression on Lord of the Rings.
- Wonder Woman’s place in history.
- Superhero movies as not-a-genre.
- Female-led superhero movies.